Translate

Sep 29, 2022

In loving memory of my Great Grandfather

Diary of Nippon Sherchan, 

Great grandson of Lt. Jay Prasad Sherchan

It’s 3:00 am in the morning and I have a lot of thoughts going on in my mind right now. The number one thought that’s been on mind lately is the demise of my great grandfather. I don’t have much memory with him, but few I can remember is the old house we stayed in Beni. I remember him cooking dhindo for me, while I was on my vacations that was a long time back. My great grandmother used to buy me sweet bread which use to come in cycles filled with cream, that is a fond memory i still remember about my great grandmother, we use to watch TV, play toy cars with other friends from the village while on vacation.

After that I remember when he took me for a walk across my village in Mustang at the time of shebung, where he showed me lands that he owned and the 103 apple trees. After that I remember him telling me “pani nahalako sankha” because I speak very less. The stories about his life especially quotes and sayings, folklores will be forever remembered. 

The famous one being "jaba pugyo 10 etta utta bas, jabba pugyo 20 uthi rakhcha ris, jabba pugyo 30 ali kaam huncha ris, jaba pugyo 40 jyaan baccha palis, jaba pugyo 50 maan ma lagcha attas, jaba pugyo 60 haat ma aaucha lathi, jaba pugyo 70 etta utta latari, jaba pugyo 80 bhayo budo khasi, jabba pugyo 90 aabe na khabe, jabba pugyo 100 khoii" He used to say words which naturally rhymed and had a-lot of value.  

He was a wordsmith I would say perhaps. Another one was "nabolne ko chamal pani bikdaina, bolne ko pitho pani bikcha" and many more which I rarely remember till date. I must say his wakshakti (speaking skills) were off the roof and he also wanted me to develop those skills, actually all my family members want that to happen but I believe that words comes with respect to age and experience about life, but still I’m trying my best.

I also remember when we went to the hot springs when he had a skin disease. We spent a good time together, and I started my daily journaling which I continue till now. That was a few years back. After the skin disease he started aging more rapidly and ever since great grandmother had departed from this earth, he started having memory problems and had flashbacks about his life. 

He used to have a white horse which he used to ride around in, and had a lot of donkeys which he used it for trade, I remember all this because he use to blabber this when I used to go to his house in Kathmandu and stayed for the night to take care of him. 

Slowly as he aged, He used to forget people names and act like a child, maybe that’s what circle of life is all about, when you age you start becoming like a child, right where you start from the beginning. 

After his death when I remember him now, I think about the great things that he had done during his life tenure and feel proud of the fact that, he was a good person and thought about the society he lived in. 

Another thing I remember about him that I was told about by somebody else was that he had a very big heart, and used to solve society’s problems and fights that were caused financially with his own money as well. Small things like this make me wonder, Is that how I will grow up to be….. 

With all due respect, the fact that he received a honorable award from the late king of Nepal makes me even more emotional about the fact that I must continue on this legacy of keeping his name through out life and be a role model figure like him. It’s not that fame or respect I seek but the fact that his blood runs through my veins and I naturally think more like him in every stage of my life as I reflect back. I believe that I’m a very soft heart person and can’t hurt people feelings easily, the compassionate nature of my family is what has been passed on me. I always think about other people first, neglecting my own feelings, Me as a family member am proud of the fact that, in this world where people think more of themselves first and less of others is what exactly the opposites we are made up of and I strongly believe that’s a very good thing.

Today when i feel with all my heart that I should be there with the family mourning about his loss, I’m here in India, working for my new job. It’s not the money I care about the job, but the fact that the more I learn, the more successful I will be in being a role model like him and make a better society for the upcoming generations.

Time changes human race, and in this new world of internet and globalization, there is so much to learn in order to survive. Things have been changing more rapidly then ever. Each day we are faced with new hurdles and opportunities. 

I will miss you akhe and all the great spirits in my family. I’m very proud to be a grandson of my great grandfather. Only the ones who do good are remembered for life. You have been a great mentor, teacher, and a loving head of the family. Let peace be upon you! Om Shanti!

No comments:

Post a Comment